Ferry, Whanganui River

Charles Decimus Barraud, Artist

This is one of the watercolours in our collection. It was made in Whanganui, Whanganui Region, New Zealand in 1860.
See full details

Object Detail


About the Work
This flat bottomed cable ferry (punt) was used to transport people, horses, carts and livestock across the Whanganui River and was pulled across using a cable wire. It operated from where Whanganui iSite is located today across to near the site of the present Red Lion Hotel. To see a photograph by Frank Denton of a similar ferry that operated across the Whanganui River near Upokongaro until 1935, visit https://natlib.govt.nz/records/22310846?search%5Bpath%5D=photos&search%5Btext%5D=ferry+upokongaro
Measurements
Image 232 x 360mm
Frame 480 x 580mm
Media
watercolour and pencil on paper
Description
Pale watercolour painting of a shoreline on the Whanganui River. Horses and carts are on the track alonside the river and a number of small building are to the right of the image.
Credit Line
Collection of the Sarjeant Gallery Te Whare o Rehua Whanganui. Gift of Dr E.E. Porritt.
Collection Type
Permanent collection
Acquisition Date
Pre 1977

Colours

Share

Nationality:
Accession Number:
1994/98/1

Part of 1 highlight set