Rata Ship on the Whanganui River

Kingston V James, Artist

This is one of the paintings in our collection. It was made in Whanganui, Whanganui Region, New Zealand in circa 1929-1940.
See full details

Object Detail


About the Work
The Rata Ship was built by Bow, McLachlan & Company (of Paisley, Scotland) and operated from 1929-1958. She was a twin screw steam ship and was designed to take the ground at tidal ports such as Tarakohe and Onekaka. She carried coal and cement to most New Zealand ports, except Auckland and Bluff, although she did call at Auckland during the war when she was used as a minesweeper. In this image a shipment of coal is being unloaded to fuel the gas works that were located on the corner of Heads Road and Taupō Quay, Whanganui. This painting is by K.V. James who ran a successful picture framing business in Whanganui for many years.
- Jennifer Taylor Moore, Curator of Collections for 'On the Move' exhibition Aug - Sep 2021
Measurements
Frame 485 x 635 mm
Media
oil on canvas
Description
Painting of a black steam ship with red mast and RATA attached on prow in yellow lettering, unloading coal on a wooden wharf on the Whanganui River. Rocks line the waters edge, a pulley carries containers of coal beyond the picture.
Credit Line
Collection of the Sarjeant Gallery Te Whare o Rehua Whanganui. Gift of Barbara Pettigrew, in memory of her father Walter James White, 2018
Collection Type
Permanent collection
Acquisition Date
29 Nov 2018

Colours

Share

Nationality:
Accession Number:
2018/6/1

Part of 1 highlight set